Total Pageviews

Monday, June 29, 2015

One Second

So tomorrow we get an extra second due to us adjusting to the Earth's slowing rotation or something. And apparently it's going to screw up a lot of things. 

Our digital world will go into temporary freak out mode, like a little baby Y2K. I read about this and the preparations that certain sectors are having to make, and thought to myself, "wow, seriously? A single second is really wreaking such inconvenience upon society?" 

Now usher in the predictable illustration of how in this life, every second counts. 

But you guys, it really does matter. 

If you could take that extra second we are all getting tomorrow, and hold it in your hand as if it were a magical bean, what would you do with it? 

Our seconds on this earth add up. I've wasted so many of my seconds. They've turned into minutes and hours where I could've done more to get outside of myself and make a difference in this world. 

It's funny, you know, a lot of times people say to me things like: 

"Oh, I know you're so busy." 

"We were going to ask you to help but knew you'd be booked." 

"I've always wanted to spend time with you, but you know so many people." 

I AM busy. But if my "busyness" ever makes me unapproachable or inaccessible, then God, please significantly slow me down. 

The best seconds spent are those blessing others in the name of Christ, and I'll be transparent and real in saying I'm honestly not too good at that sometimes. 

My struggles often banish me back to bed. I keep very large circles, but my true circles are very small because I sport a lot of emotional and spiritual burn marks. 

It can't be an excuse anymore, because seconds are so short, so meaningful - and who knows how many I've wasted and how many I have left? 

I gave myself a little challenge a month or so ago:

If something hurts, be honest. If something's disappointing, talk to God first. If a relapse happens, then cry, tremble and scream, but then climb out of it.

Just. Climb. Out of it. 

I need to make it a priority in my life to follow God's call. In every second. Not just when I feel like it or when the stars align perfectly in my favor.

I know I need to walk with mental and physical illness, but I most importantly need to walk in obedience to a God that is perfectly capable of healing me anytime He wants to - but cares more about loving, teaching and saving me instead. 

How will I make my seconds count? I have some ideas. 




1 comment:

  1. Hello Tammy. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am glad to stop by your blog post and have an opportunity to share with you a program our church in MUMBAI, INDIA has for the young and the adults from the west. I am also glad to know your love for the love and interest in traveling the world. Here is an opportunity to do so. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken heated. we also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. Since you love the Lord Jesus and have interest in traveling the world it would be a great opportunity to serve the poorest of poor who are close to the heart of Jesus and also then more around to see the beauty of God's creation. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessing on you.

    ReplyDelete